effective as at 1 July 2013
At Ready Car Rentals we are committed to protecting and maintaining the privacy of your personal information. In Australia the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 regulates the handling of personal information (for example, name and address details) by Australian private sector organisations and in New Zealand the Privacy Act 1993 has a similar effect. This policy explains how Ready Car Rentals protects your privacy and summarises how we collect, use and disclose personal information that you might provide us. When you make an application to use our service, you consent to us using and disclosing your personal information consistent with this policy.
Please refer to the section in this policy titled “What you consent and agree to”.
I. What personal information does Ready Car Rentals collect about me and how does it collect it?
When you rent a vehicle from Ready Car Rentals, we need to collect certain information from you. The service that you use will determine exactly what information we collect from you. The information may include your:
- Contact telephone number(s);
- Contact facsimile number(s);
- Date of birth;
- Drivers licence number and state of origin;
- Vehicle preference;
- Credit card number(s) and expiry date(s);
- Email address;
- Company name and employee number;
- Contact details of individuals who can provide professional references and other information required in the Cash Qualification process;
- Reservations and Rental details including dates, times and places of vehicle hire;
- Vehicle damage circumstances and details.
In certain circumstances, we may collect sensitive information about you. For example, we may collect information about your membership of a professional association in order to provide you with the correct discount for our services. Sensitive information under the relevant Privacy Act includes information about an individual’s membership of a professional or trade association. We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent or otherwise in accordance with the law.
How we collect the information will depend on how you use our services. We may collect information directly from you by telephone, fax, email, over the counter, your completion of an application or enrolment form, or through our internet based service. We may also collect information about you indirectly through a travel agent, or corporate program.
You can choose not to provide some of your personal details but this may prevent us from providing our services to you or limit our ability to provide you with the level of service that you would normally expect from us.
II. How is my personal information used or disclosed by Ready Car Rentals?
We strive to ensure a stress-free rental experience and we are dedicated to building a rewarding and lasting relationship with every customer. In order to provide the level of service we believe you expect from us, we may use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
We use your personal information to:
- Provide the services that you request;
- Do all things necessary to administer those services;
- Research, develop, manage, protect and improve our services;
- Conduct customer satisfaction surveys and inform You of any improvements that we have made to our services; and
- Maintain and develop our software and other business systems.
We may disclose your personal information to other related and non-related organisations including:
- Your company or organisation if you use our services under a corporate account;
- Our contracted service providers;
- Credit card providers;
- Credit reporting and fraud checking agencies and where necessary to register a default;
- Debt collection agencies, in the event of Your default in payment of monies owed to us;
- City councils and government or private organisations responsible for the processing or handling of traffic related infringements;
- Driver licensing authorities; and
- Government, regulatory and law enforcement agencies where the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Use or disclosure for direct marketing purposes
We may use and disclose your personal information to offer you products and services provided by Ready Car Rentals. We may also use (but not disclose) your personal information to offer you products and services provided by companies participating in Ready Car Rental partner programs.
III. How does Ready Car Rentals protect my information?
We use up to date techniques and processes, which meet current industry standards to ensure that Your personal information is kept secure and confidential. Only employees of Ready Car Rentals and those who perform services on our behalf, and are authorised to handle your information, will have access to your personal information. We will not retain any of your personal information for any longer that it is required by us, except to fulfil our legal obligations. With your help we will take all reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information is kept complete and up to date.
IV. How to access your information
We are committed to ensuring the personal information held by us is up to date and accurate. If you do find inaccurate information let us know and we will take all reasonable steps to correct the information.
You may ask us to give you access to the personal information that we hold about you at any time. This access is subject to certain exceptions. You may not obtain access to information relating to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between us and you. You can request access to your information by email or phone. You will be asked to specify the information that you want access to, and you will need to verify your identity before we are able to provide the information. This is a free service unless the information you request requires us to access archived material or spend significant time in preparation or research. If this occurs we will advise the likely cost in advance and can help refine your request if necessary.
If you believe the personal information that we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete and Ready Car Rentals does not agree with you, we will provide a statement expressing your disagreement with the information where that information is kept.
V. Who can I contact for further information?
If You have any questions about how we handle your personal information or if you believe that we have handled your personal information inappropriately, you can contact us via any of the following ways:
Telephone: 1300 308 736
Post: PO Box 508, Burleigh Heads QLD 4220
VI. What you consent and agree to
When you provide us with your personal information you consent and agree to our use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this policy including, in particular to:
- Our use and disclosure of that information in order to provide the service you have requested and for any other compatible purpose including the management, protection and development of our business;
- Our use and disclosure of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.